||Hour of Code
What is Computer Science?
We live in a world surrounded by technology. Information, commerce, communication, and entertainment all rely on computers. But only a tiny fraction of us learn computer science, the basics of how computers work, or how to create software, apps, or web sites. Computer Science provides a foundation for virtually any career and everybody can benefit from learning the basics.
Did you know:
- Software jobs outnumber students 3-to-1. The gap is 1 million jobs over 10 years- and these are some of the highest paying jobs.
- 90% of schools in the US do not teach computer science.
- In many countries, it’s required (China, Vietnam, Estonia. Soon UK, Australia)
- The basics can be learned by anybody, starting in elementary school. But fewer than 10% of students try. Only 2% are women. 1% are students of color.
Programming literacy is going to be key to your child’s future. And this year we’re joining a massive campaign to prepare students for the 21st century during Computer Science Education Week (Dec.7-11).
Your children will be working with me learning to code in their computer classes during the week:
- The Maze at Code.org - Kids are challenged to move the angry bird through puzzles to get the pig using block codes!
- ArtBot- Move ArtBot through a series of mazes using code directions.
Please Join Us!!
You can participate too, at home on your own, and with your children. It's never too late to learn code! See the links below to get involved!
:) Mrs .D'Orio